Operations Support Officer
Reporting to: Finance Officer, Abidjan
Location: Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Application closing: 15 August, 2019
Job start date: September, 2019
Fixed-term appointment – 1 year Full Time
Interpeace is an international organization for peacebuilding that supports locally led peacebuilding initiatives around the world. Interpeace tailors its approach to each society and ensures that the work is locally driven. Together with local partners and local teams, Interpeace jointly develops peacebuilding programmes and helps establish processes of change that connect local communities, civil society, government and the international community.
As a strategic partner of the United Nations, Interpeace is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland and has offices around the world.
For more information about Interpeace, please visit www.interpeace.org
Position within the Organization
The Operations Support Officer is a member of the Global Operations Unit which encompasses Finance, IT, Administration, Legal, Internal Audit and HR. The Global Operations Unit is led from the Headquarters office in Geneva, although team members are based in different locations around the world including in Bosnia, Côte d’Ivoire, Guatemala, Switzerland, Kenya, and Tunisia.
Under regular supervision from the Finance Officer of Abidjan, the Operations Support Officer maintains an efficient and effective operations function at the designated country.
Purpose and General Overview
In line with the strategic direction defined by the Senior Director of Global Operations, the Operations Support Officer is responsible for HR, Finance and legal administration effective performance at the designated duty station. This includes maintaining at country level: local legal compliance (taxes, entity), accounting data on QuickBooks, scanned supporting documentation, cash management, procurement, payroll, insurance portfolio, personnel files and leave management in Natural HR, and office space. S/He is also responsible for supporting the Finance Officer, Abidjan and the Global Operations team to implement effective frameworks in the country and providing support in effective implementation of Interpeace policies and procedures. The Operations Support Officer role is responsible for accounting and employment cycle in the designated duty station.
The Operations Support Officer retains a primary focus on safety and security, diversity and gender equality and ensures these are reflected and promoted in all aspects of the work at the office.
The Operations Support Officer gathers information from, exchanges and consults with global operations colleagues stationed in offices across the region and/or HQ for enhanced, relevant and contextualized operations management. S/he provides professional guidance and counsel to colleagues in Burkina Faso about Operations best practice in coordination with the Finance Officer, Abidjan. The Operations Support Officer also provides guidance on implementing and interpreting policies, processes and practices.
Guided by and under the supervision of the Finance Officer, Abidjan, during the contract period, a successful Operations Support Officer will
- Understand applicable policies and procedures to support their successful implementation and guide colleagues in Burkina Faso
- Develop under the supervision of the Finance Officer, Abidjan and in coordination with the Global HR manager, the Conditions of Service for Burkina Faso to ensure compliance with Interpeace policies and local regulations
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of Admin, HR and Financial records in Sharepoint (with special focus on the Grant Management library), Natural HR (including personnel files, leave records and contracts) and QuickBooks (including the FSD – Financial Supporting Documentation).
- Coordinate and participate in all recruitments in Burkina Faso; Execute payroll and be up to date on legislation changes; ensure that performance evaluations are coordinated with the Global Talent Officer; Coordinate the necessary aspects of duty of care in Burkina Faso related to the insurance portfolio
- Ensure segregation of Duties and a clear approval matrix for all expenses in Burkina Faso; register properly the accounting records in QB; upload all the supporting documents at the FSD; perform monthly closure checks on financial records. Support on elaboration of budget design, reporting and analysis.
Duties and responsibilities
Scope and Impact
- Specific responsibilities and objectives are assigned with some latitude for setting of priorities and technical approaches, using established practices and procedures. Unusual challenges may be discussed with supervisor or others for clarification of the policy.
- Is recognized as the office first reference for professional/Technical advice relating to HR, accounting, Budgeting and reporting within the projects and grants assigned
- Informs and interprets policy and practices within the units of operations
- Work conducted by the Operations Support Officer impacts specific job families, assigned grants and partners.
Planning and implementation
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies
- Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary
- Uses time efficiently
Management of Personnel and Resources
- Supervising (intern, accountant or assistant) on a day to day basis and whenever necessary update the (Manager) on any relevant matters
- Performing appraisals and providing mentoring and on the job training for the staff supervised
Financial responsibilities –To be define according to office set up
- Check monthly that the final booked expenses are in line with Approved budgets (including cost sharing) and that resources are utilized in line with the approved budgets and donor requirements.
- At year end, prepare Partner draft Financial Statements for the consolidated Audit. Coordinate any Statutory or Donor audits and, with the assistance of the (Officer and Coordinator), respond to audit queries.
- Monitor that organizational performance actions stated at the Summary of Outstanding Audit Recommendations Report SOAR report for the assigned partner/s are implemented until issues are resolved.
- Prepare Cash Transfer Request (CTR) for Ouagadougou office based on budget availability and ensure funds are utilized according to approved plan (CTR). Update estimates included in the CTR in discussion with relevant programme team.
- Monitor that expenditures are processed and authorized according to Interpeace Delegation of Authority and other policies (as Procurement Manual).
- Monitor compliance with grant funding requirements (Donor rules and regulations as eligibility of expenditures).
- Prepare grant expense reports for all the projects implemented at the designated geographical area and ensure accuracy with SunSystems before they are submitted to any external party.
- Participate in Programme team meetings and contribute to Programme strategy, activity planning and Programme development as requested.
- Reviewing of all source documentation for office income and expenditure to ensure compliance with Interpeace financial rules and procedures.
- Draw up payment vouchers and receipts for all expenditures and incomes and ensure proper authorization of payment vouchers.
- Enter all transactions into QB software.
- Process travel advances and follow up to ensure their subsequent liquidation.
- Banking Services.
- Update the Fixed Assets database with new/disposed assets and ensuring that all assets have insurance cover.
- Update the Personnel & Logistics database.
- Review all local expenses for billing purposes and Manage Accounts Payable to ensure all local payments comply with policy requirements
- Prepare the payroll for the office staff and ensure that all statutory deductions have been correctly made i.e. (social taxes and Withholding Tax).
- Ensure compliance with Local Tax Laws in relation to statutory requirements relating to financial statements, periodic reporting and tax filings across all taxes.
- Reconcile the local bank account and constantly review banking arrangements to ensure timely transfer of funds and minimize exchange loses and bank charges
- Reconcile all Balance Sheet accounts and follow up to clear non-current items
- Prepare Draft Financial Statements for and supporting schedules as requested by the auditors and act as the focal point for the auditors during Statutory and Donor/Programme audits.
- Monitor the implementation and clearance of internal and external audit issues and recommendations
- Conducting Petty Cash Spot checks on a regular basis
- Maintain local fixed asset register
- Upload QuickBooks back-ups and Financial reports on SharePoint monthly
Management of employee work life cycle
- Coordinates successful employee onboarding and set up in Burkina Faso. Oversees contracting and effective personnel onboarding across Burkina Faso
- Informs the Global HR Manager of specific issues of employee conflict or grievances related to organizational policy and procedures
- Coordinates employee separations including disciplinary processes, terminations and exit interviews in Burkina Faso. Ensures that all required paperwork is filed including relevant letters, PAF forms, End of Service form, employee certificates, insurance notifications, and notification to relevant authorities
Contracting and HR Administration
- Validates staff contracts and consultancy contracts, including consultant fees for fair and coherent practices
- Maintains complete personnel files for Burkina Faso
- Manages the HR online platform which includes staff leave management records, performance management, recruitment and employee documentation for Burkina Faso
- Coordinates work permit applications with appropriate authorities in Burkina Faso
- Manages the insurance portfolio in Burkina Faso and is responsible for administering these appropriately
- Administers the payroll and related local regulatory processes for the offices in Burkina Faso
- Participate in Proposal development team meetings and contribute by providing technical guidance/suggestions to proposal development, activity planning, interpretation of donor requirements etc.
- Maintain updated contractual documentation for grant implementation (project proposals/budgets (ProDocs) and grant agreements or relevant documentation) at SharePoint (DRD, Project Connect, etc.)
- Assist Headquarters in the review of existing policies and procedure and in the development of new procedures, including internal controls.
- Acts as the Burkina Faso Focal point for Gender and Work Life Balance initiatives
Management of Personnel and Resources
This position has no budgetary approval.
This position has no direct reports.
- Degree in Business Administration, finance, or related field from a recognized University
- Accounting certification (partial or full CPA or equivalent) or Tertiary education in human resources
- Have demonstrated high understanding of accounting, HR and administration matters preferably within the not-for-profit sector
- Minimum of two years of relevant and progressively responsible experience in the professional field. Proven experience and ability to work successfully as part of a diverse and multicultural team, integrating a gender perspective into tasks and activities and collaborating effectively with a range of internal and external stakeholders
- Strong accounting knowledge and operating capacity. Experience in financial bookkeeping within the local context
- Strong understanding of budget management; financial internal controls; source documentation verification; preparation of payment vouchers; and procurement processes
- Ability to perform detailed work, frequently of a confidential nature and/or to handle a large volume of work systematically, effectively and accurately
- Knowledge of human resource management theories and principles and capacity to think systematically
- Good understanding of Burkina Faso labour laws
- Ability to foresee risks and allow for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Ability to take ownership of all responsibilities and honor commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment successfully and to demonstrate gender-responsive and non-discriminatory behavior and attitudes.
- Proficient in English (B2 or above) and French. Spanish considered an advantage
- Ability to deal with confidential information and/or issues using discretion and good judgment
- Ability to interact with people respectfully and with tact
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment successfully and to demonstrate gender-responsive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes
- Effective verbal and listening communications skills
- Collaboration and Weaving
- Drive for results
- Adaptability and Continuous Learning
- Respect for Diversity
- Experience managing payroll
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR) or Global Professional in Human Resources certification
- Experience with non-profit or international organizations
- Experience working in field locations
- Sound knowledge of gender equality challenges as they relate to the work environment and employment
- Identifies with and is committed to Interpeace’s core values and working principles
- Commitment to inclusiveness
- An innovative, critical thinker with extensive problem-solving skills
- Demonstrates a business partner approach to HR management
Interpeace values diversity among its staff and aims at achieving greater gender parity in all levels of its work. We welcome applications from women and men, including those with disabilities.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a complete curriculum vitae and a letter of interest to email@example.com . “Operations Support Officer– Burkina Faso” MUST BE included in the subject line of the application email to be considered.
Please note that due to high volume of applications, ONLY short-listed candidates will be contacted.