Intern – Programme assistant
Location: Bissau, Guiné Bissau
Application closing: Until position is filled
Job start date: January 2019
Interpeace, an international non-profit organization, works in close partnership with national partner organizations and the UN, with the aim of building lasting peace. Interpeace supports the active involvement of local, national, and international actors in ongoing collective dialogue and participatory policy research that allows societies facing a risk of violent conflict to overcome its internal divisions. Interpeace assists and enables them to collectively respond to social, economic and political challenges.
Headquartered in Geneva with offices in Abidjan, Guatemala City and Nairobi, Interpeace is supported by bilateral and multilateral donors. The organization is currently active in Africa, Latin America, Europe, Middle East and Asia.
Scope of the position:
Under the supervision of the Programme Officer, the Intern assisting the programmes will support the work of Interpeace in Guiné Bissau. The intern will be based in Bissau, Guiné Bissau, in the office of Voz di Paz, our partner organization in the country. Detailed information on the programmes can be found on the Interpeace website. She/he will assist the entire programme team with a broad range of programme management tasks, including proposal and report writing, translation (Portuguese/English), planning, communication, documentation and monitoring activities.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Assist the programmes in the country in various ways to help achieve Interpeace’s core objectives of supporting locally owned peacebuilding processes and supporting the international community’s efforts to support local peacebuilding capacities.
- Monitor email and other communications with partner teams.
- Draft and/ or edit periodic (weekly, monthly, quarterly, annual) programme reports.
- Manage the proper archiving of physical and electronic documents.
- Translate programme and other supporting documents to Portuguese/English.
- Draft and/ or edit substantive reports.
- Assist partner teams with the production of substantive and descriptive narrative reports.
- Organize meetings, logistics with and for visitors.
- Participate in team strategic and thematic discussions and document the exchanges.
- Support day-to-day activities of the Programme Officer and undertake any other activities as called upon by the supervisors, particularly by the Regional Director.
- Completion or current pursuit of a postgraduate degree in international relations, peace and conflict studies, human rights, diplomacy or related fields; or pursuit of undergraduate degree in these fields complemented with strong knowledge of the region.
- Fluency in Portuguese is required and a very good command of English. Portuguese skills are required to be comparable to those of a native-speaker in order to ensure autonomous work. A good command of French is an asset.
- Demonstrated knowledge/interest in West Africa contexts, knowledge of cultural and peacebuilding dynamics Guiné-Bissau and other countries in the region are considered a strong asset.
- Strong desire to learn more about peacebuilding and conflict prevention issues.
- Ability to work in a team and independently.
- Excellent research and writing skills required.
- Aptitude to adapt to a different context regarding security, culture, climate and health issue.
- Field experience in a conflict-affected or post-conflict country preferable.
- Evidence of strategic thinking and proven ability to organize, plan and prioritize work.
- Good command of Microsoft Windows and Office is required. Experience with Adobe video or graphics software is considered an asset.
Nationals from Guiné-Bissau and other countries in West Africa are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Guiné-Bissau Office will insure a proper induction process for the intern in order to rapidly get familiar with Interpeace’s work. The Interpeace team in Bissau and in Abidjan at the regional level is dynamic and hard-working, encouraging space for personal initiatives and creativity.
Duration: 6 months (full-time)
Starting date: Juanuary 2019.
Stipend: A stipend is offered to cover one return trip to Bissau and basic living costs during 6 months
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates may submit a complete curriculum vitae and a letter of interest in Portuguese to email@example.com, copying firstname.lastname@example.org. “Internship –GB and your name” MUST BE included in the subject line of the application email to be considered. Interpeace is an equal opportunity employer. Please note that due to high volume of applications, ONLY short-listed for interviews candidates will be notified. This recruitment will remain open until the post is filled. Early applications are thus encouraged.