“Actions for peace” at the heart of the 11th Geneva PeaceTalks, 21 September 2023
September 14, 2023
This 11th edition of the PeaceTalks will take place on the occasion of the International Day of Peace, September 21, 2023, at the Palais des Nations in Geneva, which coincides with the SDG Summit, marking the mid-point milestone in implementing the SDGs. A hybrid event, the meeting will welcome an in-person audience and will be broadcast live online.
Speakers from different backgrounds will bring their points of view and explain their actions for peace through a series of inspiring talks:
- Nilofar Ayoubi, women and human rights defender fromAfghanistan, journalist, CEO of Asiatimes.af
- César López, renowned Colombian musician and composer and social leader
- Nina Verdiane Niabodé, host and producer of Radio Ndeke Luka, Central African Republic (CAR)
- Maiwen Ngalueth, South Sudanese humanitarian and peace professional
- Sophia Stril-Rever, spiritual activist and teacher from France
- Cheick Fayçal Traoré, Burkina Faso, peacebuilding and development professional
- Alicia Sanders-Zakre, nuclear disarmament researcher and activist and Research and Policy Coordinator at the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN)
- Special video screening of “Peace Begins With Me”, a creative collaboration between Congolese peacekeeper and musician Pacifique Akilimali and Nigerian peace advocate and poet Maryam Bukar Hassan
- Special video screening of “1.5 Degrees of Peace”, from Kasha Sequoia Slavner Gen Z activist and award-winning director
- A message on the International Day of Peace from António Guterres, ninth Secretary-General of the United Nations
- Special remarks by Tatiana Valovaya, 13th Director-General of the United Nations Office at Geneva
- Closing remarks, Simon Gimson, Acting-President and Chief Operating Officer, Interpeace
The Geneva PeaceTalks 2023 are organized under the theme “Actions for Peace: Our Global Goals” which has been chosen by the UN this year for the International Day of Peace.
Through short 8 minute talks, speakers will share their vision and stories of peace with audiences from around the world. This will be the 11th edition of the Geneva PeaceTalks.
Co-founded in 2013, the PeaceTalks is a global platform dedicated to telling and sharing inspirational stories for peace. Harnessing the power of storytelling, the PeaceTalks creates a space encouraging dialogue, reflection and inspiring hope. Videos of previous editions at: www.peacetalks.net
This edition is made possible with the support of the Swiss Confederation, the Canton and City of Geneva, Mirabaud, Geneva Call and Fondation Hirondelle. The Musical Performance by César López is made possible through the Plan for the Promotion of Colombia Abroad of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Colombia.
The event is scheduled on the International Day of Peace, 21 September 2023, 16:00-18:00. It will be followed by a reception.
In-person: Room XVII, Palais des Nations, Geneva.
Livestream online at http://webtv.un.org.
Luvini Ranasinghe, Head of Communications at Interpeace / email@example.com / Tel : 079 475 64 95.