Geneva Peace Talks Goes Digital 2020
September 16, 2020
The 8th edition of the Geneva Peace Talks will be held on Monday 21 September 2020, the International Day of Peace. This year, the Geneva Peace Talks goes digital and will be livestreamed from Geneva.
The central theme for 2020 is Shaping Peace. In these unprecedented times of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Geneva Peace Talks aims to highlight our interconnectedness as what happens in one part of the planet impacts people around the world. The pandemic has unveiled deep systems of inequality, privilege, and injustice prevalent in societies around the world. We are now challenged to reflect on how we can shape our world and what we want our new “normal” to look like.
Our two moderators will guide you through short talks by individuals sharing their personal stories and experiences, to highlight their efforts to shape peace.
- António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations
- Tatiana Valovaya, Director-General of the United Nations Office at Geneva
- Ahmed Abdullahi, a leading Somali peacebuilder
- Estelle Baroung Hughes, a teacher passionate about education’s role for peace
- Taimani Emerald, a creative using heart-led design to teach messages of kindness and anti-racism, in conversation with Ron Smith, Vice President Education Initiatives Salesforce
- Luís Figo, former professional footballer
- Adiba Qasim, a refugee and Yazidi survivor passionate about education
- Roberta Ventura, a social entrepreneur with a mission to provide empowerment through embroidery and employment
- Inua Ellams, an award winning poet exploring themes of identity, displacement and destiny
- Scott Weber, President of Interpeace
Learn more about each speaker at genevapeacetalks.ch
The Geneva Peace Talks is a public event brought to you by the United Nations Office at Geneva, Interpeace and the Geneva Peacebuilding Platform, the Swiss Government and Salesforce to celebrate the International Day of Peace.