Senior Programme Manager
Reporting to: Head of Programmes
Location: Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Application closing: Until the position is filled
Interpeace is an international organization for peacebuilding that supports locally led peacebuilding initiatives around the world. Interpeace tailors its approach to each society and ensures that the work is locally driven. Together with local partners and local teams, Interpeace jointly develops peacebuilding programmes and helps establish processes of change that connect local communities, civil society, government and the international community.
As a strategic partner of the United Nations, Interpeace is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland and has offices around the world.
For more information about Interpeace, please visit www.interpeace.org
Position within the Organization
The Senior Programme Manager is a member of the Programme Management Unit which manages and implements Interpeace’s active and ongoing programmes around the world. The Programme Management Unit is led from the Headquarters office in Geneva, although team members are based in various locations including in East and Central Africa, West Africa, Europe and the MENA region.
The Programme Manager reports to the Head of Programmes of WA. For this position to be effective, the Programme Manager will draw on support from the Programme Management Unit in the region and at Headquarters and with the Programme Development and Operations teams as well as a within the network of Programme Managers based in other countries of operation.
Purpose and General Overview
The Senior Programme Manager assumes responsibility for the timely delivery of the programme in Burkina Faso. S/he provides overall leadership and strategic direction to the programme necessary to enable Interpeace to implement its mandate in collaboration with the Head of Programmes of WA.
The Senior Programme Manager represents Interpeace and is responsible for the management of relations with government, international and local organisations, networks and media under the general guidance of the Head of Programmes of WA.
S/he is responsible in managing the programmatic activities within the pre-agreed programme budget or funding allocation.
Duties and responsibilities
- Contributes to the development of proposals for Interpeaces’ programmatic work
- Advances practical relationship building with implementing partners
- Provides support & leads the development and definition of the Interpeace programme strategy in line with the overall Interpeace Strategic Plan and the context in Burkina Faso.
- Identifies and advises on refreshing/renewing existing programme work at country level
- Identifies and develops opportunities to expand the programme within the country, in collaboration with the country programme team, implementing partners as well as the Programme Development Unit.
- Coordinates the programme annual planning and budgeting processes as per organizational guidelines and local context
- Ensures effective implementation and compliance with the overall Finance & Associated manuals and complies with procedures required by grant or contract agreements
- Focuses on Tracks Two and Three but with a capacity to operate occasionally at Track One
- Engages and builds relationships with implementing partners, donors, other organizations and diplomatic representatives
- Develops and strengthens relationships with local organisations and networks and establish national and regional strategic relations and alliances with partners and civil society working in common cause with Interpeace objectives.
- Represents Interpeace in strategic meetings, conferences, forums and other public events and contributes towards consolidating and raising the profile of Interpeace
Management – institutional coherence
- Provides management, guidance, and technical oversight of all new and existing projects within the Burkina Faso portfolio
- Ensures compliance of programmatic work at activity level with internal controls
- Has a close operational coordination at working level with other teams in Interpeace and with implementing partner organizations
- In cooperation with Finance, reviews and revises as needed the budgets and reporting for all programme operations
- Ensures timely and appropriate project expenditures in line with financial plans and efficient use and stewardship of project material sources
- Contributes to the development of policy and learning from the country programme and context in collaboration with the Policy and Learning Unit
Management of Personnel and Resources
- Manages and develops a team of key programme personnel within the framework of Interpeace
- Engages the country team by providing clear expectations manifested in individual work plans and follows up through expressing positive expectations and holding each other accountable
- Advanced degree in peace and conflict studies, international relations, human rights, political science, development, management, or relevant field
- At least 5-7 years of professional experience in programme management (strategy, planning, reflection, implementation, monitoring, evaluation) with preferably at least 2-3 years working in the area of conflict prevention, transformation and peacebuilding
- Proven experience working in the peacebuilding, security or development sector
- Field experience in conflict affected contexts. Previous experience in the Sahel Region is an asset
- Good experience in project grants management, including project design, preferably for grants from multiple public donors
- MEAL skills and experience required. Demonstrated ability to write high quality technical proposals.
- Demonstrates effectiveness and strong experience with short and long-term planning; financial, personnel and program management.
- Advanced knowledge and experience of project cycle management including using project planning and management tools
- Knowledge of current thinking on peacebuilding issues and methods; and demonstrable ability to anticipate emerging needs and integrate them swiftly into priority programme setting
- Developed ability of raising the profile of an organization, strategically networking with government agencies, donors and other international agencies, and using the media to generate profile
- Proven ability to communicate, negotiate and work with high level executives and government officials.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment successfully and to demonstrate gender responsive and non-discriminatory behavior and attitudes.
- Excellent ability to interact with people respectfully and with tact
- Strong writing and communications skills in English and French is required
- Collaboration and Weaving
- Drive for results
- Adaptability and Continuous Learning
- Respect for Diversity
- Identifies with and is committed to Interpeace’s core values and working principles
- Commitment to inclusiveness
- An innovative, critical thinker with extensive problem-solving skills
- A strategic manager who is accountable, leads by example, mentors and empowers a team and works to create work-life balance
How to Apply
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a complete curriculum vitae and a letter of interest to email@example.com . “Senior Programme Manager Burkina Faso” MUST BE included in the subject line of the application email to be considered.
Please note that due to high volume of applications, ONLY short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The position is opened until the role is fulfilled.
Interpeace values diversity among its staff and aims at achieving greater gender parity in all levels of its work. We welcome applications from women and men, including those with disabilities.