Reporting to: Administration Officer
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Type of position: L1 S1
Application closing: 31 December 2021
Interpeace is an international organization for peacebuilding that supports locally led peacebuilding initiatives around the world. Interpeace tailors its approach to each society and ensures that the work is locally driven. Together with local partners and local teams, Interpeace jointly develops peacebuilding programmes and helps establish processes of change that connect local communities, civil society, government, and the international community.
As a strategic partner of the United Nations, Interpeace is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland and has two regional offices in West Africa (in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire) and in Eastern and Central Africa, (in Nairobi, Kenya). Interpeace also has an office in Guatemala City and representation offices in New York, Brussels, and Stockholm.
For more information about Interpeace, please visit www.interpeace.org
Position within the Organization
The Office Assistant is a member of the Global Operations Unit which encompasses Finance, IT, Administration, Legal, Internal Audit and HR. The Global Operations Unit is led from the Headquarters office in Geneva, although team members are based in different locations around the world including in Bosnia, Côte d’Ivoire, Guatemala, Switzerland, Kenya, and Tunisia.
Under regular supervision from the Administration Officer, the Office Assistant works closely with the Administration Officer and Administrative Assistant and is responsible for providing support to staff in Nairobi office.
Purpose and General Overview
The Office Assistant acts as support to the organization and ensures that the working spaces are well maintained according to hygiene and cleaning standards in order to ensure public and staff private areas are in good condition. S/he will assist in all other activities related to office maintenance & administration support, filing documents when necessary as well as archiving files. Responsible of reporting to the Administrative Officer any repairs that need to be done and making sure that the supplies are replenished on time, specifically the cleaning materials, kitchen supplies and the guest house supplies. The Office Assistant maintains all public and private spaces in the office and apartment clean and organized. Duties includes but not limited to: vacuuming, mopping, surface cleaning, dusting, and filing, among other tasks and responsibilities assigned from time to time.
Duties and responsibilities
- Maintain the office premises daily ensuring that the environment is clean, dust-free, and well-organized always.
- Prepare coffee, tea, and other sustenance needs of the Nairobi Office staff.
- Monitor all upcoming meetings and visitation schedules to ensure that visitors and participants receive appropriate refreshments.
- Provide messenger duties as called upon, using local public transport, including delivery of documents and parcels to external offices. All deliveries shall be properly logged.
- Carry out kitchen supplies inventory regularly and request for replenishment in good time. A report should be made on damaged or broken items.
- Assist the Administrative Officer in stores management including archiving, maintenance of inventory list and reporting on any damaged or broken items.
- Carry out all other activities related to office maintenance and administration support, above and beyond those mentioned above, as called upon, and in the collective spirit of teamwork and collaboration.
- Cooperate with the rest of the staff
- Follow all health and safety regulations
- Maintain the offsite Nairobi apartment while ensuring high standards, including laundry and other housekeeping duties as necessary:
- Perform general sweeping, scrubbing, mopping of hardwood, laminate, or tiled floors.
- Dispose of trash from bins and containers.
- Clean windows, glass surfaces, and mirrors.
- Maintain and upkeep all cleaning equipment, supplies, and products.
- Ensure safe and sanitary storage and care of products.
- O’Level Certificate
- Diploma Certificate in hospitality/Housing keeping would be an asset,
- Computer literate
- Fluency in both oral and written English and Swahili
- Previous 2 years’ experience as Office Assistant/ housing keeping would be preferred.
- Filling and Archiving
- Reliable and punctual with a dedicated professionalism to job and duties.
- Able to adapt to changing schedules or routines, excellent time management skills
- Pays attention to detail when cleaning
- Organized and able to follow a schedule
- Ability to handle heavy equipment and machinery
- Knowledge of cleaning chemicals and supplies
- Familiarity with Material Safety Data Sheets
- Collaboration and Weaving
- Drive for results
- Adaptability and Continuous Learning
- Identifies with and is committed to Interpeace’s core values and working principles
- Commitment to inclusiveness
- Self-motivated and organized.
- Reliable, honest, approachable and a team player
How to apply
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their applications to email@example.com on or before 31st December 2021 23:59 pm, Nairobi time. “Office Assistant, Nairobi office” MUST BE included in the subject line of the application email to be considered. Early applications are encouraged.
The application must include:
- a complete curriculum vitae
- a letter of interest
- an acknowledgement letter, answering the following questions:
- Have you ever been criminally convicted or subject to any criminal or administrative penalty by any competent authority? If yes, please specify:
- Have you ever been terminated or separated (e.g. contract termination, dismissal, non-renewal) or subject to any disciplinary measure or sanction by your employer for fraud, harassment, sexual harassment, sexual exploitation or sexual abuse?
- Have you ever resigned while under investigation or during disciplinary proceedings?
Confirming the following declaration of understanding:
I confirm the accuracy of the information provided, with the understanding that Interpeace will conduct reference checks to verify relevant information.
I understand that if any false or misleading information is provided in my application, or any material fact suppressed, I may not be employed, of if I am employed, I may be dismissed.
Interpeace values diversity among its staff and aims to achieve gender equality both through gender parity at all levels of the organisation and the promotion of a gender dimension in all its work. We welcome applications from women and men, and those with disabilities.
Please note that due to high volume of applications, ONLY short-listed candidates will be contacted.