Finance and Admin Support Officer – Benghazi @ 70%
Reporting to: Operations Officer - Tripoli
Application closing: 22 December, 2019
Job start date: January, 2020
Fixed-term appointment – 1 year
Interpeace is an international organization for peacebuilding that supports locally led peacebuilding initiatives around the world. Interpeace tailors its approach to each society and ensures that the work is locally driven. Together with local partners and local teams, Interpeace jointly develops peacebuilding programmes and helps establish processes of change that connect local communities, civil society, government and the international community.
As a strategic partner of the United Nations, Interpeace is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland and has offices around the world.
For more information about Interpeace, please visit www.interpeace.org
Position within the Organization
The Finance and Admin Support Officer is a member of the Global Operations Unit which encompasses Finance, IT, Administration, Legal, Internal Audit and HR. The Global Operations Unit is led from the Headquarters office in Geneva, although team members are based in different locations around the world including in Bosnia, Côte d’Ivoire, Guatemala, Switzerland, Kenya, and Tunisia.
Under regular supervision from the Operation Officer of Tripoli, the Finance and Admin Support Officer maintains an efficient and effective operations function at the designated country.
Purpose and General Overview
In line with the strategic direction defined by the Senior Director of Global Operations, the Finance and Admin Support Officer supports the effective performance of HR, Finance and legal administration at the designated duty station under the supervision of the Operations Officer in Tripoli. This includes maintaining at office level: local legal compliance (if needed), accounting data on QuickBooks, scanned supporting documentation, cash management and office space. The Finance and Admin Support Officer will provide relevant information to the Operations Officer in Tripoli to complete procurement processes, payroll, insurance portfolio, personnel files, and leave management. S/He is also responsible for assisting the Operation Officer, Tripoli and the Global Operations team to implement effective frameworks in the country and providing support in effective implementation of Interpeace policies and procedures.
The Finance and Admin Support Officer retains a primary focus on safety and security, diversity and gender equality and ensures these are reflected and promoted in all aspects of the work at the office.
The Finance and Admin Support Officer gathers information from, exchanges and consults with global operations colleagues stationed in offices across the country and/or HQ for enhanced, relevant and contextualized operations management. S/he provides professional guidance and counsel to colleagues in Benghazi Office about Operations best practice in coordination with the Operation Officer, Tripoli. The incumbent also provides guidance on implementing and interpreting policies, processes and practices.
Guided by and under the supervision of the Operation Officer, Tripoli, during the contract period, a successful Finance and Admin Support Officer will
- Understand applicable policies and procedures to support their successful implementation and guide colleagues in Benghazi
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of Admin and Financial records in SharePoint, Natural HR (leave records) and QuickBooks (including the FSD – Financial Supporting Documentation).
- Ensure segregation of Duties and a clear approval matrix for all expenses in Benghazi office; register properly the accounting records in QB; upload all the supporting documents at the FSD; perform monthly closure checks on financial records. Support on elaboration of budget design, reporting and analysis.
Duties and responsibilities
Assistance on Budget Management
- Support the Operations Officer on any policy or procedure changes required to strengthen internal controls.
- Review Cash Transfer Request (CTR) for Benghazi office based on needs for the office and budget availability and ensure funds are utilized according to approved plan (CTR). Update estimates included in the CTR in discussion with relevant programme team.
- Monitor that expenditures are processed and authorized according to Interpeace Delegation of Authority and other policies (as Procurement Manual).
- Monitor compliance with grant funding requirements (Donor rules and regulations as eligibility of expenditures).
- Assist in preparation of grant expense reports for all the projects implemented at the designated geographical area and ensure accuracy with SunSystems before they are submitted to any external party.
- Participate in Programme team meetings and contribute to Programme strategy, activity planning and Programme development as requested.
- Review all source documentation for office income, expenditure and accounts payable to ensure compliance with Interpeace financial rules and procedures.
- Draw up payment vouchers and receipts for all expenditures and incomes and ensure proper authorization of payment vouchers.
- Enter all office transactions into QB software and send the backup with the monthly supporting documents for closure to the Operations Officer.
- Process travel advances and follow up to ensure their subsequent liquidation.
- Complete internal control checks on monthly bases for Benghazi office
- Reconciliate petty cash and bank account. Assist the focal point that performs petty cash checks.
- Reconcile all Balance Sheet accounts and follow up to clear non-current items
- Assist the Operations Officer in maintaining accurate Fixed Assets database and proper insurance cover.
Administration of employee work cycle
- Assist in organizing successful employee onboarding and set up in Benghazi office.
- Assist in preparation the payroll for the office staff for the submission to Tripoli as well as assisting in gathering information needed for the personnel files of Benghazi office.
- Informs the Global HR Manager of specific issues of employee conflict or grievances related to organizational policy and procedures
- Assist in coordinating employee separations including disciplinary processes and terminations in Benghazi Office. Ensures that all required paperwork is filed including relevant letters, PAF forms, End of Service form, employee certificates, insurance notifications, and notification to relevant authorities
- Assist in monitoring the implementation and clearance of internal and external audit issues and recommendations
- Participate in Proposal development team meetings and contribute by providing technical guidance/suggestions to budget development and internal policies and procedures.
- Assists the Operations Officer in maintaining updated contractual documentation for grant implementation.
- Assist Headquarters in the review of existing policies and procedure and in the development of new procedures, including internal controls.
- Acts as the Benghazi focal point for Gender and Work Life Balance initiatives
- Candidates with relevant qualifications, experience, a tertiary degree, and fluent in English and Arabic are invited to apply.
- Have demonstrated high understanding of accounting, HR and administration matters preferably within the not-for-profit sector
- Minimum of two years of relevant experience in accounting and administration.
- Relevant international exposure demonstrating a capacity to work in a multicultural environment
- Strong accounting knowledge and operating capacity. Experience in financial bookkeeping within the local context
- Understanding of budget management; financial internal controls; source documentation verification; preparation of payment vouchers; and procurement processes
- Ability to perform detailed work, frequently of a confidential nature and/or to handle a large volume of work systematically, effectively and accurately
- Understanding of Libya labour laws
- Ability to foresee risks and allow for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Ability to take ownership of all responsibilities and honor commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment successfully and to demonstrate gender-responsive and non-discriminatory behavior and attitudes.
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English and Arabic
- Ability to deal with confidential information and/or issues using discretion and good judgment
- Ability to interact with people respectfully and with tact
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment successfully and to demonstrate gender-responsive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes
- Effective verbal and listening communications skills
- Collaboration and Weaving
- Drive for results
- Adaptability and Continuous Learning
- Respect for Diversity
- Experience with non-profit or international organizations
- Experience working in field locations
- Sound knowledge of gender equality challenges as they relate to the work environment and employment
- Identifies with and is committed to Interpeace’s core values and working principles
- Commitment to inclusiveness
- An innovative, critical thinker with extensive problem-solving skills
- Demonstrates a business partner approach to HR management
Interpeace values diversity among its staff and aims at achieving greater gender parity in all levels of its work. We welcome applications from women and men, including those with disabilities.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a complete curriculum vitae and a letter of interest to email@example.com . “Finance and Admin Support Officer – Benghazi” MUST BE included in the subject line of the application email to be considered.
Please note that only those candidates that are short- listed for interviews will be notified. The application period will close on December 20th 2019 at 11:59 pm.