Expression of Interest – Health and Peace Consultant
Location: Remote location
Application closing: Open until position is filled
The assignment is for an initial period of six months.
Interpeace is an international organization for peacebuilding. Its aim is to strengthen the capacities of societies to manage conflict in non-violent, non-coercive ways by assisting national actors in their efforts to develop social and political cohesion. Interpeace also assists the international community (and in particular the UN) to play a more effective role in supporting peacebuilding efforts around the world. For more information about Interpeace, please visit www.interpeace.org
The Sustaining Peace resolution of the Security Council and the UN-World Bank report on “Pathways to Peace” have called upon humanitarian, development, stabilisation and peace actors to evolve their ways of working to become more effective at enabling sustainable peace and preventing violent conflict. This has very real implications in the public health sector. The COVID-19 pandemic and the response to it have further increased conflict dynamics and have contributed to a climate of mistrust, misinformation and social tension in many countries. While it is clear that health and peace are intrinsically linked, the precise connection points have largely remained under-explored.
There is a growing consensus at the policy level that the international community and practitioners must better capitalise on the interlinkages between health and peace and the opportunities that arise, both for health interventions to avoid exacerbating conflict dynamics and instead to contribute to peace, as well as for peacebuilding efforts to create the conditions for health interventions in conflict-affected areas. To invigorate this agenda and provide a forum to advance it politically and practically, Interpeace is launching a new initiative with the following objectives:
- To foster political support – especially amongst governments – for enhanced synergies and cooperation between health and peace interventions in humanitarian, development and conflict contexts;
- To develop a set of proposals aiming to strengthen the global architecture on health and peace at the inter-agency/organisation level;
- To facilitate the use of health interventions for building peace and cooperation; and
- To improve the quality of health interventions by more systematically adopting a peacebuilding lens in their design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
The role of the consultant is to guide Interpeace’s exploratory work to define and start delivering the organisation’s Health and Peace agenda. The specific objectives are to:
- Map potential political stakeholders and supporters of a new initiative to foster collaboration between international peace and health actors, as well as their different thematic and geographic interests;
- Identify existing and forthcoming policy and political dialogue related to the Health and Peace agenda, particularly in the World Health Organisation and at the World Health Assembly in order to ensure mutually-reinforcing coherence and alignment;
- Map potential thematic areas and evidence on the interconnections between peace and health programming, in coordination with the Peace Responsiveness team in Interpeace;
- Provide recommendations both on the substantive focus and the required political engagement and advocacy necessary to advance collaboration between international health and peace actors;
- Organise, prepare and support meetings with interested stakeholders including advancing a potential sustained network for fostering future collaboration on peace and health.
The Consultant is based in the Policy, Learning and Advisory Services Unit of Interpeace, reporting to its Director. The Consultant works closely with colleages in the Peace Responsiveness team. The Consultant also works closely with the President of Interpeace and with the Strategic Partnerships team that is responsible for government relations.
The assignment is for an initial period of six months.
Deliverables and Timeframe
- Political engagement strategy
- Mapping interest of representatives of governments and relevant international organisations and agencies
- Mapping thematic areas and evidence of interlinkages between health and peace
- Design and background materials for convenings of Group of Friends
Considering the inter-disciplinary nature of this research, the ideal candidate would have experience both in the health sector and in the peacebuilding sector. Given Interpeace’s own expertise in peacebuilding, previous experience and knowledge of the health sector would be given more weight.
- At least 10 years of professional experience in the public health sector and (ideally) peacebuilding/making
- Skilled in research
- Experienced in political engagement, public policy formulation and advocacy
- Strong motivation to explore multi-disciplinary thinking
- Experience in/with UN agencies is desirable
- Programmatic experience in health sector and/or peacebuilding in developing countries is desirable
- Previous experience working in or on conflict-affected countries is desirable.
Submission of expression of interest
Interpeace invites qualified persons to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) to provide the services described in the attached Terms of Reference.
The call is open to individuals as well as to companies which wish to propose achieving the objectives and deliverables of this consultancy in alternative ways.
Applicants shall bear all costs associated with the preparation and submission of their proposal, and Interpeace shall not be responsible or liable for those costs, whether direct or indirect, regardless of the conduct or outcome of the EOI, nor if the vacancy is cancelled, altered or postponed for any reason. This includes, but is not limited to, any and all costs incurred for pre-proposal clarifications, oral presentations, site visits, and subsequent meetings and negotiations.
All Expressions of Interest shall be prepared in English and comprise the following documents:
- Motivational Letter, explaining why this topic is of interest to the candidate.
- Track Record, including past professional experience within the areas of expertise described above, examples of work, and contact details of three references.
- Financial Proposal, containing a proposed all-inclusive, daily consultancy rate in USD. The cost of preparing an application and negotiating a contract, including any related travel, is not reimbursable nor can it be included as a direct cost of the assignment.
All offers to provide the services described in this Expression of Interest must be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com .
All submissions must indicate “Health and Peace Consultancy” in the subject line.
Only applications under consideration will be notified. Participation in this EOI indicates acceptance of the terms and conditions provided. Expression of interests may continue to be submitted until the consultancy is notified on Interpeace’s website as being filled.