Reporting to: Finance and Administrative Manager
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Type of position: L2 S1
Application closing: 15 October 2021
Interpeace is an international organization for peace building that supports locally led peace building initiatives around the world. Interpeace tailors its approach to each society and ensures that the work is locally driven. Together with local partners and local teams, Interpeace jointly develops peace building programmes and helps establish processes of change that connect local communities, civil society, government and the international community.
As a strategic partner of the United Nations, Interpeace is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland and has two regional offices in West Africa (in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire) and in Eastern and Central Africa, (in Nairobi, Kenya). Interpeace also has an office in Guatemala City and representation offices in New York, Brussels, and Stockholm.
For more information about Interpeace, please visit www.interpeace.org
Position within the Organization
The Administrative Assistant is a member of the Global Operations Unit which encompasses Finance, IT, Administration, Legal, Internal Audit and HR. The Global Operations Unit is led from the Headquarters office in Geneva, although team members are based in different locations around the world including in Bosnia, Côte d’Ivoire, Guatemala, Switzerland, Kenya, and Tunisia.
Under regular supervision from the Finance and Administration Manager, the Administrative Assistant works closely Operations and Programme team in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and the region to create a more efficient and effective administration function for an agile, responsive and high performance Interpeace.
Purpose and General Overview
Reporting to the Finance and Administration Manager, the Administration Assistant supports administrative operations related to reception and logistics in the Addis Ababa office and for the region.
While the Administration Assistant reports to the Finance and Administration Manager, s/he supports on logistics and travel arrangements for the Addis Ababa Office and partners. The position liaises with external service providers.
The Administrative Assistant is the link between various departments and supports the smooth flow of administrative information from one part to the other. Thus, without effective administration, an organization would not run professionally and smoothly.
Working together with the operations and programme teams, the administrative assistant facilitates the Finance and Administration Manager’s ability to manage and organize the office effectively, implement set administrative procedures and to be able to plan and control administrative issues. He/she must ensure that the office environment is clean and conducive for work.
Duties and responsibilities
- Specific Duties
Reception / Day-to-Day Administrative duties
- Maintain a presence at the reception, welcome and receive visitors
- Manage office access, welcoming and directing visitors in a professional and welcoming manner
- Receive and direct incoming and outgoing calls while engaging in all communications in a professional and courteous manner
- Maintain a tidy and well-organized reception area
- Answer general inquiries about Interpeace in Addis Ababa, direct visitors to relevant staff for further information and ensure to take and relay messages from visitors/callers
- Ensure proper and timely flow of office and personal mail: Receive and distribute parcels and other mail.
- Coordinate DHL and other outgoing mail
- Arrange appointments and schedule meetings for various staff while also managing booking and utilization of office meeting and Conference rooms
- Ensure full functionality of office telephone lines
- Maintain supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies
- Address customer concerns and complains promptly and professionally.
- Ensure all utilities and supplies are filed correctly and up-to –date.
- Carry out administrative duties such as filing, typing, copying, binding, scanning etc
- Provide general support for the office as requested by staff members
- Provide cover to the office cleaner when he/she is out of office
- Support in various HR administrative tasks including but not limited to: recruitment, facilitate Inductions, contracting (staff and consultants), payrolling and tax compliance, HR filing, manage online HR platform, support in performance management and talent development/training initiatives and manage time sheets.
- Prepare monthly payroll and send the letter to the bank for payment
- Maintaining filing of all payroll related records and reports confidentially
- Prepare payment request of income tax, withholding tax and pension payable for ERCA on monthly bases.
- Receive documents for settlement from staffs in need and liquidate travel and work advances and prepare JV for the expenditure.
- Communicate the concerned staff member to return the amount remaining on their hand or refund excess settlement amount.
- Make sure the fulfillment of signature and necessary documents (Proforma invoice, Purchase request, GRV, Receipts/invoices, agreement, Timesheet…) of the file.
- Review payment requests for completeness (supporting documentations); proper authorization, coding; compliance to policies and procedures before check and transfer preparation
- Make appropriate box file label and internal separator
- Assist Finance and Administration Manager in the preparation of timely financial reports to HQ
- Manage the office petty cash: Update petty cash register daily, and ensure all expenses are supported by authentic source documents .
- Support the Finance and Administration Manager in requests for domestic and international flight schedules, itineraries, bookings, and tickets from local travel agents for efficient and cost-effective travel for staff, partners and consultants (during periods of heavy workload)
- Preparation of mission orders and letters for staff, partners and consultants travelling to the country or outside the country
- Support the organization of workshops/events including supplies and logistics. Arrange the availability of equipment, registration of event participants, transportation, displays, requesting quotes, coordinating catering, and liaising for facility rental and other event needs
- Drive forward process and system improvements to support the delivery of excellent events, including post-event follow-up
- Performs other duties that may be assigned to ensure the logistical support of operations related to official travel and other program objectives
- Any other administrative duties as assigned
Scope and Impact
- Responsibilities and objectives are assigned with some latitude for administrative decision-making using defined guidelines from the direct manager, written policy, signed/agreed documentation and administrative directives. Unusual problems are discussed with supervisor for clarification, conclusion or escalation
- Provides administrative guidance to employees in Addis Ababa with some control responsibilities for maintaining standards
- Work conducted by the Administration Assistant impacts the Addis Ababa office and the work carried out in the Eastern and Central Africa region
Planning and implementation
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identify priority activities and assignments; adjust priorities as required; allocate appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work, foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary, use time efficiently.
- Informs and supports the execution of the work plan for the administrative function in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Implements administrative procedures and policies in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Completion of secondary school education supplemented by relevant further training in bookkeeping, accounting, business administration and/or related fields and/or relevant equivalent professional experience is required
- At least 2 years of relevant post-qualification experience in a busy office environment, preferably in an INGO
- Understanding of basic office procedures and proficient in using office equipment including, but not limited to: copiers, fax machine, printers, and postage machine.
- Working proficiency in computer software use, primarily MS Office tools
- Knowledge of and ability to apply practices and procedures for data entry, preparing administrative documents and maintaining file systems
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English and Amharic.
- Must have strong problem-solving skills, pay close attention to detail, and ability to prioritize work.
- Ability to work well under pressure and deliver within required deadlines, often in a fast-paced work environment
- Good writing, presentation, and time management skills
- Efficient, professional and results driven
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment successfully and to demonstrate gender-responsive and non-discriminatory behavior and attitudes.
- Excellent ability to interact with people respectfully and with tact.
- Ability to deal with confidential information and/or issues using discretion and good judgment
- Strong organization and coordination skills
- Collaboration and Weaving
- Drive for results
- Adaptability and Continuous Learning
- Respect for Diversity
- Ability to travel when required
- Experience in a Non-Governmental Organization
- Customer service experience in order to provide courteous, prompt and efficient responses to internal and external parties
- Identifies with and is committed to Interpeace’s core values and working principles
- Calm and collected even under stressful working conditions
- Commitment to inclusiveness
- Reliable, honest, approachable and a team player
How to apply
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their application to email@example.com
The position will remain open until a suitable candidate would be identified. “Administrative Assistant, Addis Ababa” MUST BE included in the subject line of the application email to be considered. The CVs will be reviewed on rolling basis. The application must include:
- a complete curriculum vitae
- a letter of interest
- an acknowledgement letter, answering the following questions:
- Have you ever been criminally convicted or subject to any criminal or administrative penalty by any competent authority? If yes, please specify:
- Have you ever been terminated or separated (e.g. contract termination, dismissal, non-renewal) or subject to any disciplinary measure or sanction by your employer for fraud, harassment, sexual harassment, sexual exploitation or sexual abuse?
- Have you ever resigned while under investigation or during disciplinary proceedings?
Confirming the following declaration of understanding:
I confirm the accuracy of the information provided, with the understanding that Interpeace will conduct reference checks to verify relevant information.
I understand that if any false or misleading information is provided in my application, or any material fact suppressed, I may not be employed, of if I am employed, I may be dismissed.
Interpeace values diversity among its staff and aims to achieve gender equality both through gender parity at all levels of the organisation and the promotion of a gender dimension in all its work. We welcome applications from women and men, and those with disabilities.
Please note that due to high volume of applications, ONLY short-listed candidates will be contacted.